Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Cronkite Moment


Once years ago (late 90's) I was on my way up to visit C.
in the Carlyle Hotel Tower.
Being Waspy, they had apartment numbers
but not on the doors or hallways.
So upon reaching the penthouse foyer,
I had two opposing facing doors to choose from,
I choose what I thought would be the park view...
I could hear someone shifting ice in a tumbler of libations.
After knocking,
I heard a low rumbled sigh
And.....

" You've got the wrong door..."
"He's across the hall..."
SIGH"

I knew the voice then and now.

I found my party.

But can you imagine, being at the top of your game,
only to want to relax in semi-retirement
in a Central Park facing penthouse.

To be interrupted night after night,,,
by the comings and goings of your neighbor's
Guests...

I laughed my apology and ran to the other door...

I have always felt for the fellow.

He handled it much better than I could ever hope.

R.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/arts/television/18appraisal.html?hp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments and suggestions for new words that you may have here ! GRAZIE, Rico